How to hide or remove icons using Finder on your Mac desktop
How to hide or remove icons from your Mac desktop?
Most of the people save files to desktop to find and access them a bit more conveniently. If you are one of these and forget to clean up these files in time, they get piled up on the entire computer screen. If you are facing difficulty to find a specific file on your cluttered desktop, you may hide or remove icons from your Mac desktop. Although, you may create a folder on the desktop or elsewhere on your Mac and manually drag and drop icons and files into that folder, that removes them from the desktop and clean it at some extent, but you cannot do this with hard drives and volumes . Here, we will provide you some easy steps to hide or remove icons from the Mac desktop to get rid of the mess straight away.
By following the below given steps you may hide or remove icons from your Mac:
- First of all, launch the Finder on your Mac.
- Click on the “Finder” menu and select “Preferences”
- Now, switch to the “General” tab.
- Under “Show these items on the desktop” section,uncheck the boxes next to hard disks, external disks, CDs, DVs, iPods and connected servers.
The above changes will be applied immediately and hard disks will be immediately disappeared. To hide other app icons, you just drag & drop them into another folder within your home directory or elsewhere.
Moreover, if you want to hide all desktop icons you may do it using a command, follow the below given steps to do that:
- On your Mac, go to Applications > Utilities and then launch “Terminal.”
- Enter the following defaults command string and then hit “Enter.”
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false
- Next, you need to kill the Finder by using the below given command in Terminal:
- Press “Enter”, doing this will refresh the Finder and the Desktop.
This is how you may easily hide or remove icons from your Mac desktop and enjoy clutter free system ahead.
Now read: How to erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac
What other's say