How to rename multiple files at once on your Windows 10 PC
Renaming of a single file or folder is very easy but when it comes to rename the files in batch, it may sound time consuming to you. But now, you may rename multiple files at once in a few seconds on your Windows 10 PC. Renaming of files helps you to locate files on your system with an ease. Fortunately, Windows 10 offers an easy way to rename all your files in a few clicks and steps. Let’s learn how to rename multiple files using file explorer on your PC.
How to rename multiple files at once with the same name?
If you want to rename files with the same name, you may easily do it using File Explorer. Follow these steps:
- On your Windows 10 PC, launch the File Explorer and head to the folder that contains the files you want to rename.
- Now, select the files you want to rename by pressing and holding the “Ctrl” key while clicking each of the files. Press “Ctrl + A” If you want to select all the files in this folder at once.
- After selecting the files, press the “F2” key on your keyboard, doing so will highlight one file’s name and make it editable.
- Now, type a new name, and then press the “Enter” key to confirm that.
- After completing the above steps, all the selected files are renamed as the same name with a number in parentheses appended to the name.
How to rename multiple files at once with dissimilar names?
If you want to rename multiple files with different names, follow these steps:
- On your Windows 10 PC, open the folder that contains the files you want to rename.
- Select the file you want to rename and then press the “F2” key on your keyboard to make this file’s name editable.
- Type a new name, and then press the “Tab” key on your keyboard to come to the next file.
- Type another different name and then press the “Tab” key to come to the next file, or press “Shift + Tab” to go back to the last file.
- You may simply repeat this action to rename all the files you want to rename.
- By using this way, you may save your precious time that may be consumed while renaming the files using mouse.
This is how you may easily rename multiple file at once. In case you made any mistake or just want to reverse the changes, simply press Ctrl + Z to undo the renamed files.