How To Secure Your Twitter Account
How to secure your Twitter account?
In this hi-tech era, social media is an important part of everybody’s life. Most of us use social media accounts to connect with family and friends, share photos, videos and personal information. So, the security of social media accounts is very important to prevent them from online hackers who may disclose and misuse your private data.
Recently, Twitter announced that they exposed everybody’s passwords in plain text on their server and not sure that nobody has that file of your passwords at the same time, so you need to change your password to secure your Twitter Account immediately and enable Two Factor Authentication, which stops anybody from logging in as you, even if they have your password or Twitter starts printing password and mailing them to random people.
Change Your Twitter account password
First of all, you need to set a strong password to prevent your account from unauthorized access.
- Go to Twitter.com and click on your profile picture in the upper right.
- Select Settings and privacy and then when the next page loads.
- Now, select Password in the list running down the left side.
- You will be asked for your existing password and then your new one. Use a strong, unique password and save the changes.
You may also change the Twitter password from phone using below given steps:
- Open Twitter application on your mobile phone and tap your profile photo at the top left side
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Then, click on Account and Change password.
- Enter strong and exclusive password and save it.
Enable Two Factor Authentication
You always need a security layer to protect your Twitter account and Two Factor Authentication feature is that additional layer which protects your account from unauthorized access. Once you changed the password, you need to turn on login verification on Twitter. Then, you also need to enter a code which is sent to your mobile phone. This verification helps make sure that you, and only you, can access your account.
Once login verification is enabled, you will need both your password and your mobile phone to log in to your account. When you log in to twitter.com you will receive a six-digit login code to enter.
To configure login verification on twitter.com
- Click on your profile image from the top menu, then click Settings and privacy.
- Click on your Account settings and click set up login verification.
- Read the overview instructions and then click Start.
- Enter your password and click Verify.
- Click Send code to add your phone number.
Note: If you already have a phone number associated with your Twitter account, we will send you an SMS to confirm your number.
- Enter the verification code sent to your mobile, then click Submit.
- Click Get Backup Code to view a code, generated by Twitter.
We suggest you to store a screenshot of the code in case you need it for future use. This will help you access your account if you lose your mobile phone or change your phone number.
To select between login verification type on twitter.com
You can choose to use a separate third-party app to generate a login code.
- Click on the profile image from the top menu, then click Settings and privacy.
- Click Account and then click Security.
- The Text message option will be on by default. Click Edit to no longer receive codes via text message. If the Security app selection is currently disabled, you will be asked to enable it.
To configure a separate third-party app for verification on twitter.com
You can use a third-party authenticator application such as Google Authenticator, Duo Mobile, Authy, or other, installed on your mobile device.
- Click on your profile image from the top menu and then click Settings and privacy.
- Click on the Account
- Under Security and next to Login verification, click the Review your login verification methods button to get started.
- Enter your password and click Confirm.
- From the selections, click set up next to Mobile security app.
- Read the instructions and then click Start.
- If you are asked to verify your password, enter it and click Verify.
- You will see a pop-up window displaying a QR code. Follow the instructions listed.
- To set up the third-party authenticator app, you will need to scan the QR code. You will then see a 6-digit numeric security code.
- Enter this code in the Security code text field in the pop-up window.
- Click Done.
Once you enabled the login verification for your account, you need to use temporary password to use your twitter account on other devices. Your usual username and password will not work on other devices.
If Twitter finds you will need a temporary password to log in, you will get one via SMS text message on your phone. Then, you may create your own temporary password.
How to create a temporary password on twitter.com?
- Go to twitter.com and click on the Account tab of your account settings.
- Click the Generate app password button.
- Enter your current account password and click Submit again.
- You may click on the temporary password and this will automatically copy it for you.
- When prompted to log in to your other device or application, enter your username and use the temporary password that you were generated.
All the above ways will help you to change your Twitter password and ensure you that your account is safe and secured.